28 August 2013

2011 Gary Farrell Russian River Selection Chardonnay

I was first introduced to the wines of Gary Farrell Winery when I tried the Sauvignon Blanc last year. I realize that a lot of my posts start out that way this year, but I'm finding more and more that instead of sampling a new and unknown-to-me winery, I'm getting to revisit an old friend.

This is a very enjoyable problem to face on my end, but I hope that it does not become dull for my readers. However, I do like to link the older posts, because each time I try a new grape or new winery, I tend to go into a lot of detail. For those of you that love the rambling digressions into history, you can easily read it. For others, a lean and easy review.

This particular Chardonnay was sourced from eight different vineyards in the Russian River Valley: Westside Farms Vineyard, Bacigalupi (Goddard Ranch), Pellegrini (Olivet Lane Vineyard), Rochioli Vineyard, Allen Vineyard, Martinelli (Parnell Ranch), Bowland (Lazy W Vineyard), McIntyre Star Creek Vineyard. Each batch of grapes was selected to bring about an overall balance of elements in the finished product.

2011 Gary Farrell Russian River Selection Chardonnay
Russian River Valley
100% Chardonnay
$35, 14.1%
5,122 cases made

The wine spent 7 months in 40% new French oak, lending a gentle floral profile. I get notes of lemon and tamarind with a little jasmine underneath. Gentle, round body yet the acidity is still present. The flavors are slightly creamy from the malolactic fermentation and the wine has a pleasant, lingering finish. It is reminiscent of Burgundy and Pouilly-Fuissé more than California.

I tried this wine on its own, but I found myself craving old school French cooking, particularly paté and terrines--something with lots of rich and savory ingredients, served at room temperature, and savored with the perfect bottle.

Note: This wine was provided as a sample.

No comments: