05 August 2005

Broquel Wines

Tonight at the rehearsal dinner, I had two glasses of wine from the Broquel line of the Trapiche winery out of Argentina. I've commented before on their inexpensive Malbec and Pinot Noir, the former of which I used for a reduction sauce last night.

I had the Malbec and the Cabernet Sauvignon, both from 2002 and retailing for around $15 a bottle. I preferred the Malbec, but I'm pretty biased there. It's a deliciously jammy dark wine that isn't overly fruity. Lovely plum aromas. The Cabernet Sauvignon was surprising, with some chocolate and tobacco, but I think it would be better in a year or two of mellowing. Strangely, I don't recall seeing these wines on the shelf in the Memphis area, but I'll be on the lookout.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Argentina remains a great source of bargain table reds that don't taste like crap. Sort of like Australia ten years ago if you knew where to look.

No comments: